Tuesday 29 September 2009

Abi In Wonderland


A few months ago I finally got the key to the door and turned 21. For me, it was yet another excuse to have a huge flamboyant party and this year definitely did not disappoint.

amazon things i wish my mother had told me lessons in grace and elegance by lucia van der post I themed my 21st ‘Abi in Wonderland’ and transformed my garden into a massive tea party. My family decided to push the theme to the extreme and soon there were rose bushes, playing cards, love hearts, teapots and chandeliers covering every inch of our marquee.

I decided to be authentic with my outfit and ordered a tailored Alice in Wonderland dress (including pinafore) which managed to decrease my age by ten years. It was however my shoes that completed my outfit and were the talk of the town - my Melissa and Vivienne Westwood ‘Lady Dragon’ heels – whimsical peep toes with a huge red heart embellishment.

My birthday treats did not end there however. The morning of my actual birthday I was woken by my mother at 6am (I’m really not a morning person) who had a surprise for me, a day at Champneys Health Resort.

We spent the day indulging in facials, hour long massages, pedicures and a new treatment called Thalasso Active, which takes place in a pool and claims to tone and reduce cellulite. A day of complete relaxation.

I was also given a hardback copy of Lucia Van Der Post’s book Things I Wish My Mother Had Told Me: Lessons in Grace and Elegance. This book is a necessity to anyone with any interest, big or small, in fashion. It covers everything fashion and lifestyle-related, from how to dress for your figure to choosing paint colours for your house. My Grandmother, mother and I all own our own copies and I know that I will be referring to this book for decades to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment